20 most popular NHL players according to Google
Best Tickets Blog gathered some compelling data recently after researching the most popular athletes according to their number of Google search queries over the past 12 months.
Lebron James, Kobe Bryant, and Floyd Maywether are one, two, and three on the list. The first NHL athlete doesn’t appear on the rankings until 31st (Sidney Crosby). Below is a list excluding all non-hockey athletes and showing you the most popular NHL players based on search volume.
– Not too surprising seeing Sidney Crosby first on the list.
– T.J. Oshie sits in third place solely because of his incredible shootout performance in the 2014 Sochi Olympics.
– Phil Kessel and Tyler Seguin are both in the top twenty because Leafs fans have continuously debated their trade.
– Biggest surprise is definitely Mike Fisher at number 13. Not sure why he’s so high on the list. Carrie Underwood maybe?
– Four players from the Boston Bruins on this list (Rask, Chara, Iginla, Lucic).
– Biggest snub is Steven Stamkos. The Lightning forward is a perennial fifty goal scorer when healthy. I can’t believe he’s not on here. Maybe because of a non-traditional hockey market: Tampa Bay.